HHYC History!
HIDDEN HARBOR YACHT CLUB
50 YEARS OF VISION,
DETERMINATION, AND FELLOWSHIP
North
41.54.50, West 73.58.20 has existed since the early cartographers developed the
concept of Latitude and Longitude and it has always been a place on the face of
this great earth. It takes on particular
significance and a sense of peace and tranquility when you plot those
coordinates on NOAA Chart 12347 and find that point on the globe is the center
of the
Location, Location, Location
As
is the case for many shoreline locations along the
By
1866 the shore side of the “Island” was well established as the winter storage
berth for canal boats; and, from then through 1912, for the passenger and mail
steamboat “Mary Powell” the reigning “Queen of the
Like most towns of the era,
Port Ewen had a number of active social clubs with various purposes and
agenda. Along with the Ever Ready
Dramatic Club, The Dorcas Society, and the Knights of Pythias, was the I.J.B.
Club. Organized in the prohibition
years, the I.J.B.’s operated a barge with a social hall built on deck that
accommodated a bootleg bar, gambling tables, and a bandstand. The I.J.B. “
be periodically towed out on the
Vision
After
some discussion among his boating colleagues at the Kingston IBM plant in 1955
and 1956, Jack Norman was convinced that they should consider forming a boat
club in the
In January 1958, Jack Norman was reelected Commodore and members enjoyed the first bus trip event to the New York Boat Show. In February, Charter membership was closed and in March, the club was formally incorporated. In May, property was rented for an annual rent of $300.00 from Art Haber in Eddyville that allowed for the establishment of docks for about 20 boats for the 1958 season.
Determination
1959
proved to be a year of incredible progress under the leadership of Commodore
George Heppner and his staff including F. Morgan Turner. In February, after much negotiating, with
trustees of the Coykendall Estate, the 8 acre “diamond in the rough” property
was purchased for $13,000 dollars. The
Clubs’ 25 members each stepped up to the plate with $500.00 to fund a “Bond
Issue” for the purchase. The last
$500.00 was provided by John Salvatore – the sole bachelor at the time – who
had an “extra” $500.00 available to fill the gap. Subsequently, financing was arranged by
Ralsey Mott at the First National Bank of
In
May, the membership began dredging the harbor. Although the rig was caught more than once by the incoming tide and
consequently suffered an incredibly water-logged engine, over 3,500 yards of
silt was removed from the inner harbor and placed ashore to the rear of the
present children’s play area. Now with
adequate water depth, 350 feet of dockage was built to accommodate 24 boats. Progress continued with ground breaking and
partial construction of the inner 20 foot by 30 foot core of the present clubhouse
that still serves as the kitchen and service areas. Other milestones attained that year included
black topping the present boat ramp, bringing power and lights to the water
front, initiating gasoline sales and increasing the membership from 34 to 56
members. The “IBM Navy” had established
their home port! 1960
was a year of continuing construction of the clubhouse with Commodore Bill Mc
Millan at the helm until relieved by Bill Yates due to an IBM company transfer.
When the “IBM Kingston News” editor questioned KPYC member Jim O’Brian “How did
the Kingston Point Yacht Club settle in Port Ewen?”, Jim was quoted in the May
4, 1960 edition responding, “We named the club when we were thinking of buying
land on Kingston Point........Then when we bought the land in Port Ewen - why
change the name?”. The KPYC clubhouse
was closed in and painted by December that year.
1961 proved to be a year of great progress and change at the direction of Commodore Morgan Turner. Although there was a faction of the club that wished to retain the original KPYC name, there was a movement to change to a more descriptive moniker. It was Morgan Turner himself who came up with “Hidden Harbor Yacht Club” and, in January 1961, the name was officially changed. Significant infrastructure added in 1961 included town water extended to the site with water, telephone, electric, and septic system installed to the clubhouse. Waterfront improvements included initiating an expanded dock arrangement. The annual ball and fund raiser was moved from the BARN to the Wiltwyck Country Club and as Commodore Turner stated in the program for the event, “We have greatly improved the facilities of our club. This has been accomplished due to the loyal cooperation of our many members, and the keen interest of their families and friends. We look forward to the pleasure of boating and social activities for many years to come.”
With Larry Hagen as Commodore, 1962 was another year of great progress with the Certificate of Purchase (C.O.P.) plan approved to allow for sound financial planning and established the present member/owner relationship. 1962 site improvements included a gas furnace installation in the clubhouse and the waterfront docking system evolving from a docking bridge that extended out to the “island,” to the construction of the present causeway that connects the “island” to the mainland. The planning and execution of the causeway project included locating and purchasing (for $1.00) an old barge that was used as the foundation and required close coordination with the delivery tugboat. The plan unraveled at the last minute when the tug appeared ahead of schedule and instead of having a membership squadron meet the tug to receive the barge, only member Les Williams in his trusty outboard skiff was at the club and able to get under way. Les took possession of the barge, floated it into the then recently dredged basin, put it into position, and sunk it to form the necessary footings.
Commodore Harold Williams’ tour in 1963 marked another banner year with the HHYC becoming a member of the Mohawk Council of Yacht Clubs, and numerous improvements to facilities including the start of the bulkhead construction, installation of the gas pump, and the initial preliminary planning of the present 56 foot by 30 foot meeting room addition.
Commodore Bob Strini took the reins in 1964 and has the honor of being the only member to hold the office of Commodore for two full terms. Commodore Strini’s primary accomplishment in his two-year term was the final detailed planning, financing, and construction of the meeting room addition. The addition was completed in only eight months; and -- with the exception of the foundation -- totally used club member labor. Other major projects completed in 1964 and 1965 included additional bulkheading and the installation of an underground gasoline storage tank.
Infrastructure Additions
With the basic infrastructure in place, it took the focused leadership within the membership to add the “trimmings” that make HHYC the gem that we enjoy today.
Commencing with planning in
1984, Jack Higbee provided leadership and initial funding for the travel lift
and pit still in service today.
Recognizing a unique purchase opportunity, Jack purchased the travel
lift from the former proprietors of the present-day
In 1985, a major project was undertaken at the clubhouse to add the outside bathrooms, storage rooms, and extend the bar area to create the incredible venue we all enjoy today. Chaired by George Heppner, the project was completed maximizing in-house labor and minimizing costs.
The 1985-1995 period will be
known as the decade of bulkheading within the harbor. Bud Scheffel oversaw the design and
construction of the harbor bulkheading that forms the backbone of our stable
and highly dependable ramp and float system we all rely upon day after day
through fair and foul weather. After a
break of about five years, external bulkheading was begun in 2000 and completed
in 2005. This addition provides a firm
bastion to hold back the continuous erosion forces of the
1990 saw Warren Spinnenweber, Dick Jones and George Heppner provide leadership, design and engineering in the erecting of the pavilion. The project was accomplished with 100 percent club membership and cost $21,000.
In 1992, Dick Jones designed and spearheaded an undertaking that provided for the retirement and removal of the underground gas tank and its replacement with our current state-of-the-art twin 2200 gallon stainless steel gas and diesel tanks. The tanks are insulated, placed in a covered building and protected from any tank failure by a concrete retention berm. The storage tanks are the heart of the complete fuel dispensing system that includes pumping, monitoring gallons dispensed, and available as well as a documented Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Plan.
In 1999, the old underground harbor electric system, originally installed in the 1960’s, 1970’s and 1980’s, was showing signs of age and diminished capacity. Mike Karol headed up the west side of the harbor electric replacement project and completed that work at the end of the boating season. Peter Beisel followed in 2004 with the replacement and upgrade of the east side of the harbor. Both replacement projects brought new electric, telephone, television, and water lines to the respective side of the harbor. New pedestals at each ramp provide potable water, electric, and cable television service to the boats assigned to the associated float.
2001 and 2002 are memorable as the years of the installation of the pump-out system and the initial clubhouse air conditioning system. Jack Higbee directed the pump-out system that was funded by a substantial grant from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYS DEC). Peter Beisel and John Hart teamed up in 2002 to provide much needed air conditioning to the clubhouse. In 2007, Peter Beisel subsequently headed up a project to retire and replace the 2002 air conditioning system and install a total HVAC system for the building.
Some final icing on the HHYC infrastructure includes the rebuilding and roofing of the HHYC barbeque pit in 2004 and the establishment of our harbor WI-FI system in 2006. Anthony Wright provided the necessary leadership and skills to make the barbeque pit a reality. Bob Clark’s computer and networking skills put the WI-FI system in service with more members logging in each month.
Fellowship
With the club well established, the sixties and seventies were filled with continuing and expanding social events and activities. In July 1964, the first “Steak-Bake” was held and a month later the first clam bake was held. The wives of members established an auxiliary called the “Harborettes.” Now disbanded, they were always on hand to help at the club social events, club clean ups, and endless fundraising activities that included purchasing everything from picnic tables, to pianos, to petunias, as well as place settings, plates, and lawnmowers. The Harborettes originated the annual December Holiday party which continues to this day.
A
major annual event at the club in the mid seventies was the power boat
races. Organized by Warren Spinnenweber
and Morgan Turner, 2,000 shore spectators and 100 to 200
anchored boats would come to HHYC to see 35
to 50 boats from as far away as
Since
2000, the “Steak-Bake” has become the “Harborfest” with nearly sixty visiting boats
hailing from
The longevity of the club is assured by the number of new members already on board or on the waiting list. Currently, nearly 50 percent of the membership has ten years or less in the club – and over one third of the total membership has less than five years service. At our milestone 50th anniversary, Charter Members George Heppner and John Salvatore agree that they are pleased with the current physical and financial well being of the club. Both see an excellent improvement in the last ten years. Some thoughtful insight from George goes on to say “…Protect our great assets – encourage and empower all members – especially new members – to be vigilant stewards of the club.”
The club continues to evolve and yet remaining the same as the feeling of family and fellowship continues as it has done for the past 50 years. It is true to its purpose as stated in Article 1, Section 2 of the By-Laws, “To serve the interest of boating and boat owners of the Mid-Hudson area.” The diamond-in-the rough that sparked the vision in 1957 is polished and sparkling today for all members to enjoy. Let us pause the next time you find that lump of coal out on the “Island”, think of the 400 foot “Mary Powell” tied up in our basin and of old D. & H. Lock #1 in Eddyville -- if it were not for that lump of coal, we may never have known the peace and tranquility that we now all enjoy at North 41.54.50, West 73.58.20.
In remembrance of 1957 -- Happy 50th
Respectfully Submitted,
Peter Nissen
Member, 50th Anniversary Committee
Disclaimer: With great humility and homage to members of the HHYC, I wish to note that a considerable effort was made to include in this brief history as many of those members as possible that have made our club the resounding success it has been over the years. A true history of the Club would require volumes and include recalling those countless hours, events, and members who have contributed of themselves. For everyone who has been omitted, please understand no deliberate act of slight was intended.
References:
“Town of
“IBM Kingston News,” Volume 5, Number 18
“RONDOUT, A
“Kingston Daily Freeman,” various articles
CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS of Hidden Harbor
Yacht Club
Interviews and conversations with Frank
Bailey, George Heppner, Roger W. Mabie, Bud Rasmussen, Warren Spinnenweber, J.
Wilson Tinney, Morgan Turner, Dick Jones, Jack Higbee, Peter Beisel, Jack
Weishaupt, and John Salvatore
Originally Prepared – September, 1997
Significantly Updated - July, 2007